The Virtual Trainer
Facilitating the Virtual Classroom with Ease
Live Online Workshops
5 days (~2-2.5 hours/day)
Save 10% when you register a minimum of 8 weeks before the workshop. Quote EARLYBIRD10
In just one short week, you’ll gain the skills and confidence you need to successfully facilitate synchronous virtual training within your organization. You’ll learn how to apply effective speaking skills to engage your learners, how to “read” learners in a virtual environment, best practices for co-teaching with a producer, how to calmly handle unexpected issues in the virtual classroom, and so much more!
YOU MAY ALSO BE INTERESTED IN...
For trainers who are currently delivering, or expected to deliver, synchronous/virtual classroom training. The workshop is also recommended for instructional designers/developers who want to gain a solid understanding of the unique needs that apply to the virtual classroom. Note: While it isn’t mandatory, we do recommend you have fundamental knowledge and experience with instructor-led training techniques.
- Prepare to be a VC trainer.
- Start a course.
- Engage learners.
- Present engaging visuals.
- Employ effective speaking skills.
- Read the group and adjust to their needs.
- Ask and answer questions.
- Use synchronous software tools.
- Co-teach with a producer.
- Manage scheduling and timing issues.
- Deal with difficult behaviors.
- Handle unexpected issues in the virtual classroom.
- Close out the session/course.
- Prepare for online delivery.
This workshop will show you how to leverage, adapt, and transition your skills and experience as a traditional classroom trainer to the virtual classroom (VC). Throughout the first four sessions you will have the opportunity to use the synchronous tools while practicing the core delivery skills of a virtual trainer. These practice opportunities are designed to progressively build your skills and confidence towards your final 10-minute teaching session during session 5.
- The 3 most important steps to becoming a virtual trainer.
- Starting a virtual course “on the right foot.”
- 6 proven tips to engage your learners throughout the course.
- How to build rapport in the virtual classroom.
- 7 practical tips for presenting engaging visuals.
- How to interact with your visuals.
- Why your voice is your most important asset in the virtual classroom.
- How to project confidence and enthusiasm with your voice.
- How to paint a vivid picture with descriptive language.
- 35 tips and techniques to perfect your voice for online delivery.
- How to read learners (if you can’t see them).
- The art of asking powerful questions in the virtual classroom.
- How to tell when a learner has a question.
- 4 fundamental approaches for answering learners’ questions.
- How to minimize going off topic.
- The importance of having a producer.
- Why you should avoid teaching solo in the virtual classroom.
- How to be in-tune with your producer.
- Best practices for co-teaching with a producer.
- How to prevent scheduling conflicts.
- 15 tips to stay on schedule and avoid time wasters.
- How to prevent problem behaviors before they erupt.
- 10 great tips for separating the problem behavior from the learner.
- An arsenal of techniques for handling problem people.
- When to intervene (and when not to).
- How to apply a simple yet effective intervention approach.
- 5 effective techniques for mitigating unexpected issues.
- What to do when technical issues arise.
- How to deal with just about any and every technical glitch.
- The best way to prepare your learners for virtual courses.
- Why a troubleshooting guide is so critical.
- How to stay calm when it seems impossible.
- The most common issues for a new VC trainer and how to overcome them.
- 12 tips for ending a virtual session smoothly.
- A structured step-by-step plan to prepare yourself for every online delivery.
- How to run proper rehearsals before you go live.
- The factors to consider when building contingencies into your lesson plan.
- How to deal with unexpected timing, flow, and content-related issues.
- 7 simple steps for closing out a course.
- 10 key “survival” tips for the virtual trainer.
- Apply what you have learned by facilitating a 10-minute teaching session.
- Give feedback to your peers on the performance of their teaching session.
- Receive feedback from your peers and the instructor.
- Wrap up the workshop!
Note: Additional after-hours practice opportunities in the virtual classroom will be available for learners to schedule between sessions 1 and 5.
- An opportunity to apply what you have learned by facilitating a 10-minute synchronous teaching session. You will receive detailed feedback and suggestions for improvement from your peers and the instructor, as well as a link to your recorded session.
- All the worksheets, checklists, and forms in Microsoft® Word template format. Simply download them from your personal My Langevin website.
- 30-day access to all recorded online sessions including your 10-minute teaching session.
- Free 1-year feedback service. Send us a recording of yourself instructing a virtual classroom session and we will give you detailed feedback to further develop your skills.
This dynamic workshop uses a blended approach. We combine 5 synchronous online sessions with offline self-paced activities. You’ll spend 10+ hours live/online learning and practicing the key skills and techniques of a virtual trainer. An additional 6 to 8 hours of intersession work will also be required to round out your knowledge and skills.
Maximum Class Size: 12-15 participants (We limit class size to ensure maximum value and participation for our clients.)
- Log in to our Adobe Connect platform using a standard web browser and access the audio for the workshop using a telephone and headset (or ear buds with a microphone). A toll-free teleconference number will be provided.
- Expect an engaging, highly interactive, hands-on workshop with plenty of practice opportunities using breakout rooms, chat, polls, whiteboard annotation tools, etc.
- Review recordings of each session for up to a month after the workshop ends.