Photo by: Free-Photos from Pixabay
Just like a good movie or event, there’s a lot that goes on “behind the scenes” to pull off a successful virtual classroom session. The preparation and actions of the producer are key to the session’s success. I’ll reveal some of these behind the scenes actions by addressing the typical questions asked about producers and their role in the virtual classroom.
What is the role of a virtual classroom producer?
Having a producer allows the facilitator to present the course content and keep learners engaged. Specifically, the producer is responsible for providing on-the-spot support and technical troubleshooting to keep the session running smoothly with fewer interruptions. It’s the producer’s preparation before and after each session that sets everyone up for success in the live online course.
What type of preparation does a producer need to complete prior to each live online session?
The producer utilizes, what we at Langevin call, a “Workshop Preparation Checklist.” This checklist is a detailed step-by-step procedure for opening and preparing the virtual classroom for that session. This checklist is derived from the lesson plan and the activities that will take place during the 2 to 3-hour session. It includes actions such as loading course materials, polls, and files for exercises and setting up breakout rooms, as well as setting participant privileges and making sure previous participant content has been deleted.
How does the producer know what to do and when to do it during a virtual session?
At Langevin, our virtual team utilizes a lesson plan while conducting the session. This job aid outlines the content and the processes for the facilitator and the producer to deliver the content. The lesson plan is also where we document a contingency plan if the technology or method does not work as expected.
What other tasks might a virtual classroom producer perform?
- Annotate slides and/or whiteboards
- Manage recordings
- Communicate with participants before, during, and after the session about technical and logistical questions
- Send out post-session emails
- Document technology issues and how they were resolved, as well as revisions that need to be made prior to the next session
- Set up breakout rooms and documents for debriefing exercises
- Time exercises
- Clear learner status or annotations
- Load video or audio clips
How will utilizing a producer impact the results of a virtual training session?
Utilizing a producer can have a HUGE impact on your virtual classroom sessions. For example:
- You will have more options for presentation and application methods. It can be challenging to set up and execute some methods with only one facilitator.
- The facilitator will be able to focus on engaging the participants and smoothly deliver the content.
- You will have increased opportunities for learners to actively participate throughout the session since the facilitator can rely on the producer to assist in setting up or supporting these interactions.
Add a producer to your virtual classroom facilitation team and your organization will find the work that goes on “behind the scenes” will have a positive impact on each learners’ experience!
If you’re interested in receiving hands-on practice, join us in one of our live online workshops that focus on the design and delivery of virtual classroom training: The Virtual Trainer, Instructional Design for the Virtual Trainer, Maximizing Engagement in the Virtual Classroom, or From Traditional to Virtual Classroom. Attend 8 days’ worth of training and achieve a Virtual Trainer specialty certification!